The Open Door Web Site
Seed Germination Index
Conditions Needed for Seed Germination
1. To find out if water is needed for seed germination
1. Take two plastic beakers and place a cotton wool pad in the bottom of each.
2. Add seeds to each beaker. (Ask your teacher what kind and how many.)
3. Label the beakers "Water" and "No Water". Write your name and the date on each.
4. Add enough water to the beaker labelled "Water" to saturate the cotton (but not to cover the seeds). Do not add any water to beaker labelled "No Water".
5. Cover both beakers with cling film. Pierce 20 holes in the cling film of each beaker using a needle.
6. Place both beakers in the light cupboard for one week.
Explain your results
The Open Door Web Site is non-profit making. Your donations help towards the cost of maintaining this free service on-line.
Donate to the Open Door Web Site using PayPal